Mind On Statistics Test Bank
Statistical Ideas and Methods Test Bank. Chapter 14. Questions 1 to 9: The relation between y = ideal weight (lbs) and ...
Statistical Ideas and Methods Test Bank
Questions 1 to 9: The relation between y = ideal weight (lbs) and x =actual weight, based on data from n = 119 women, resulted in the regression line [pic] = 44 + 0.60 x
1. The slope of the regression line is ______ A. 119 B. 44 C. 0.60 D. None of the above
2. The intercept of the regression line is ______ A. 119 B. 44 C. 0.60 D. None of the above
3. The estimated ideal weight for a women who weighs 118 pounds is A. 120.0 pounds B. 118.0 pounds C. 114.8 pounds D. None of the above
4. The interpretation of the value 0.60 in the regression equation for this question is A. The proportion of women whose ideal weight is greater than their actual weight. B. The estimated increase in average actual weight for an increase on one pound in ideal weight. C. The estimated increase in average ideal weight for an increase of one pound in actual weight. D. None of the above
5. The interpretation of the value 44 in the regression for this question is A. The slope of the regression line. B. The difference between the actual and ideal weight for a woman who weighs 100 pounds. C. The ideal weight for a woman who weighs 0 pounds. D. None of the above
6. Which choice is not an appropriate description of [pic] in a regression equation? A. estimated response B. predicted response C. estimated average response D. observed response
7. Which choice is not an appropriate term for the x variable in a regression equation? A. independent variable B. dependent variable C. predictor variable D. explanatory variable
8. The residual for a woman who weighs 100 pounds is A. (4 pounds B. 4 pounds C. 44 pounds D. None of the above
9. The residual for a woman who weighs 120 pounds is A. (4 pounds B. 4 pounds C. 44 pounds D. None of the above
10. Consider the following plot of residuals versus x for a regression analysis. [pic] Which statement is NOT true about the regression model? A. The sum of the residuals = 0. B. The independent variable ranges from 1 to 25. C. The residual plot may shows a nonrandom pattern of residuals. D. The residual plot shows a random pattern of residuals.
11. Consider the following plot of residuals versus x for a regression analysis.
[pic] Based on the plot, what problem with the regression model or data is most noticeable? A. The variances are not constant. B. The mean of Y is not a linear function of X. C. The variance of Y is not constant at each X. D. There is an outlier in the data.
12. Shown below is a scatterplot of y versus x. What is the proportion of variation explained by x, r2?
[pic] Which choice is most likely to be approximately the value of r2, the proportion of variation in y explained by x? A. (99.5% B. 2.0% C. 50.0% D. 99.5%
13. Shown below is a scatterplot of y versus x. [pic] Which choice is most likely to be approximately the value of r2, the proportion of variation in y explained by x? A. 0% B. 5% C. 63% D. 95%
Questions 37 to 40 refer to the following: A regression equation is determined that describes the relationship between average January temperature (degrees Fahrenheit) and geographic latitude, based on a random sample of cities in the United States. The equation is: Temperature = 110 - 2(Latitude).
37. Estimate the average January temperature for a city at Latitude = 45. A. 10 degrees B. 20 degrees C. 30 degrees D. 45 degrees
38. How does the estimated temperature change when latitude is increased by one? A. It goes up 2 degrees. B. It goes up 108 degrees. C. It goes up 110 degrees. D. It goes down 2 degrees.
39. Based on the equation, what can be said about the association between temperature and latitude in the sample? A. There is a positive association. B. There is no association. C. There is a negative association. D. The direction of the association can’t be determined from the equation.
40. Suppose that the latitudes of two cities differ by 10. What is the estimated difference in the average January temperatures in the two cities? A. 2 degrees B. 10 degrees C. 20 degrees D. 90 degrees
Questions 41 refers to the following situation. Grades for a random sample of students who have taken statistics from a certain professor over the past 20 year were used to estimate the relationship between y=grade on the final exam and x=average exam score (for the three exams given during the term)
|The regression equation is | |Final = 16.6 + 0.784 ExamAvg | | | |Predictor Coef StDev T P | |Constant 16.609 4.246 3.91 0.000 | |ExamAvg 0.78357 0.05593 14.01 0.000 | | | |S = 9.801 R-Sq = 52.4% R-Sq(adj) = 52.2% | | | |Analysis of Variance | | | |Source DF SS MS F P | |Regression 1 18855 18855 196.29 0.000 | |Residual Error 178 17097 96 | |Total 179 35952 | | | |Fit StDev Fit 95.0% CI 95.0% PI | |75.377 0.731 ( 73.935, 76.818) ( 55.982, 94.771) |
41. The results for a test of H0:(1 = 0 versus Ha:(1 ( 0 show that A. The null hypothesis can be rejected because t=3.91 and p-value=0.000 B. The null hypothesis can be rejected because t=14.01 and p-value=0.000 C. The null hypothesis cannot be rejected because t=3.91 and p- value=0.000 D. The null hypothesis cannot be rejected because t=14.01 and p- value=0.000
42. What is the best way to determine whether or not there is a statistically significant linear relationship between two quantitative variables? A. Compute a regression line from a sample and see if the sample slope is 0. B. Compute the correlation coefficient and see if it is greater than 0.5 or less than (0.5. C. Conduct a test of the null hypothesis that the population slope is 0. D. Conduct a test of the null hypothesis that the population intercept is 0.
43. A regression line is used for all of the following EXCEPT one. Which one is not a valid use of a regression line? A. to estimate the average value of y at a specified value of x. B. to predict the value of y for an individual, given that individual's x-value. C. to estimate the change in y for a one-unit change in x. D. to determine if a change in x causes a change in y.
57. For the regression line [pic] = b0 + b1 x, explain what the values b0 and b1 represent.
Question 58: A linear regression analysis of the relationship between y = daily hours of TV watched and x = age is done using data from n = 50 adults. The error sum of squares is SSE = 1,000. The total sum of squares is SSTO = 5,000.
58. What is the value of r2, the proportion of variation in daily hours of TV watching explained by x = age?
ANSWERS: C, B, C, C, D, D, B, A, B, D, D, D, C, B, D, C, C, B, C, D